Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Dec. 16

So.. this week we started out with a bang by getting IPADS. We drove down to the Gastonia building and spent a few hours as a Zone getting trained on how to configure them. So that was so fun! It is an amazing tool to help our missionary work and a great blessing. We now have access to email, Skype, Facebook, Blogs, Siri, and everything. Mostly we have been using them to show videos in our teaching. It has really been a blessing. I have a world clock on my ipad that shows the time in different cities around the world, I have programmed the Philippines, Uganda, Sweden and Salt Lake :) Sister Chandler and I have had fun downloading lots of mormon messages, and "I'm a Mormon" videos. If we download them, we don't need internet to play them. And another nice thing is we have a "translator" app where we can speak into it and it speaks spanish. I don't know how accurate it is. But we used it to teach a less active Hispanic family and they loved it. Usually their Son has to translate and he was very excited that he didn't have to :) 
We have been using the closest internet connection, which is our clubhouse. The Clubhouse isn't open all of the time though, but the Gym in the clubhouse is open 24/7 and we go in there to use the internet to do our Facebook time. But we still have to be in proselyting clothes. So we sit and workout while teaching lessons in our proselyting clothes. Must be funny for people driving by. But that's ok :) Ha ha. We have actually found one investigator, and taught a couple less actives lessons on Facebook. We have Facetime, but we haven't used it yet. They haven't said if we get to take these Ipads home with us, but I hope we do! It's amazing I have more technology on my mission than I did at home.. Ha ha.
Even though we had an MLC last week, and usually that's only once a month, they called another one this week because we had a visitor, President Donaldson. He works in the missionary department and also was the mission president in the District 1. ( ps the District is great, you should watch it). He talked to us as the missionary leadership council how to best use the pamphlets, invite people to church, and just made it really simple. I loved his training. He talked about enlarging your vision, not just having people read one chapter in the Book of Mormon, but having them read the whole book of Mormon. He talked about having powerful exchanges, and really helping missionaries become the best that they can be. He said it's our responsibility as the leadership of the mission to pass on our best practices to the newer missionaries. I can't believe I am now getting to be the one of the "old ones" in the mission. After my year mark in a few weeks, then I will be officially over the hill in mission time. But right now I am more like middle age. 
We had one exchange this week, with the Hickory Sisters. They are incredible. I went with Sister Whitmer. I learned so much. I learned about serving each other and being a servant leader. I learned about a positive attitude. 
Bradley (remember the 10 year old we've been teaching for a long time?) has a baptismal date for next Sunday at 7:00! There is a few things that might get in the way.. and his family has a lot of things going on and are kind of last minute planners, but we are hoping everything goes through! We have grown to love his family. I have been teaching him and seeing them for several months now, and they are incredible. They are so kind and loving and really sweet. You would love them. 
We are having a Ward Christmas party this Saturday, and us and the Elders are supposed to be doing something. Like a funny skit. We haven't figured it out. But it's going to be great. Heather ( the one you met who came to our house!) she is in charge of it :) 

The Elders in our ward are doing great. Like I said before, one of them had their father pass away of cancer a week or so ago. It's hard to see someone go through that, especially when I can't do anything to help. He is going to stay on his mission though! He has a lot of Faith. They both have helped each other a lot through it and I think they'll be life long friends. President will probably keep them together for a long time because they have been a great support to each other and they don't need any change right now. 

Sister Chandler and I are staying together! Woot! This will mean I have been in Huntersville for 8.5 months by the end of the transfer!! Ha! Maybe I'll stay here my whole mission. Who knows. I love the Ward though. Sister Chandler and I have spent Halloween, Thanksgiving, now Christmas, New Years, and our year marks together! It'll be great. 
MOM thanks so much for the Christmas Package. At the Ipad Meeting, all of the other missionaries were jealous, and said that my parents must love me more than theirs. I could not disagree with them. Ha ha :) I know you show your love with much more than presents though, but thank you :) :) It's sitting in my closet.. taunting me. Sister Chandler won't let me open it though, don't worry. It'll last till Christmas. Maybe I will open it on Skype :) 
Is there any chance Heather's family can come to our house so we can Skype with both of you or something? Just a thought :) .... probably a crazy one though. 
We had a great lesson yesterday on keeping Christ in Christmas. Remember the reason for the season this year, and share the gift of the Gospel with someone!

No comments:

Post a Comment